Have You Ever Come Across a Microwave That Won’t Heat?

Sometimes you may put your coffee cup into the microwave to make it even hotter, but it comes out at the same temperature as before. This happens when your microwave runs but don’t heat. But don’t worry, this is not such a big issue as it seems.

This situation might occur due to:

Magnetron

A microwave that won’t heat might have a broken magnetron. It is a device that generates heat which cooks the food. If it is faulty, then it might blow a fuse, and other components might also stop working. Here are some steps that you can take to confirm that the magnetron is causing the problem, but for safety reasons, call professional service providers to examine your faulty appliances.

• Disconnect the power supply from the microwave
• Then remove the appliance’s cabinet to access the magnetron and discharge the high voltage capacitor
• Now test the high voltage diode and carry out additional checks to find other issues with the magnetron

High Voltage Diode

If your microwave has stopped heating, then there might be a problem with the high voltage diode. This component provides a high voltage that helps in powering up the magnetron. Sometimes the diode can become faulty or burn out due to too much current. The overcurrent can cause excessive heating, which burns the metal. Use a multimeter to check the diodes, and if it shows no reading on the meter, then it needs to be replaced.

Door Switch

If your microwave runs but won’t heat, it might be due to a broken door switch. A door switch is also called an interlock. When the door is closed, a door switch gives a signal to other components to start working and stop when the door is open. A broken interlock might not turn on the magnetron, while the fan or stirrer motor might still run, which may look like the microwave is working fine.

If your microwave ever stops heating, call Appliance Home Service on 281-656-8428, to get an instant and professional solution to your problem.

Disclaimer- These blogs are for information purposes only. Due to high voltages, following these tips and doing it yourself could be fatal and may cause serious injuries. Please call professionals to handle all electronic repairs.